The South Carolina Gamecocks football squad has gone through 10 practices so far this Spring Football session and here are some 10 quick observations:
1. What would spring football be without Coach Spurrier poor-mouthing the play of the offensive line? It is a fact that success in the SEC begins with this unit but we have full confidence they will begin to mesh before fall ball.
2. We talked a lot last year about Clowney and Taylor, well expect to hear a lot about Chaz Sutton and Clowney. These two could be the best defensive line combo in all of college football. Expect to hear their names called a lot in 2013.
3. Oh, Clowney is still a man amongst boys. UNC, beware.
4. Running back Mike Davis has erased all doubts about the running game in 2013. The entire unit is deep and should be poised for good things come fall.
5. There is a quarterback battle between Shaw and Thompson. Will be interesting to see who wins out. Early money on Thompson.
6. Speaking of QBs….Connor Mitch is the real deal folks. Expect great things from him in the coming future.
7. Vic Hampton, if he keeps his head straight, is a gamer and likely the next USC defensive back to make a NFL roster. He should have a very good year and be the shut-down corner that USC needs.
8. Landon Ard will be a good field goal kicker this year and this is exactly what we need to make a run at the SEC crown.
9. Going to say that one of the USC tight ends make All-Conference. Anderson and Adams are very talented and should impress this season.
10. Kwinton Smith at wide out. Remember that name as you will hear it a lot. He is on the right track to get reps and knows how to make the most of the chances.
So those are just 10 quick things garnered from the recent scrimmage and the last ten practices. We will have more insight in the near future.