The South Carolina Football team held its' annual Garnet and Black Spring Game at Williams-Brice Stadium and put on quite the show with a final score of 44-30. The Black squad won thanks to 393 yards of offensive production. All being said, it was a great Spring Game for the team and also for the fans.
Walking away from the contest, there are numerous take-a-ways but here are five observations we had:
1. The Gamecocks offense could be one of the best in the Spurrier era. I know it was a Spring Game but both the Garnet squad and the Black squad did some impressive things on offense. The Gamecocks will be loaded at running back and should have a nice passing attack, led by the tight ends.
2. Losing Marcus Lattimore to the NFL a year earlier will be tough to overcome but the answer to getting over that missed production lies in Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds. Ladies and Gents, these two are the real deal and should quickly fill the shoes of what is missed.
3. Over the years, the Gamecocks have never had so many weapons to throw the ball to that what they have today. The WR corp is stacked with talent, only quesiton is who will step up every game and the tight ends are the best in the SEC. Don's want to think "fun-n-gun" but this could be a fun season for those that like offense.
4. The defensive will not let us down. There are many new faces on the defensive side of the ball but to the credit of Coach Ward and Spurrier, they have reloaded and should be just as good as the last few years. Many questioned the secondary last year and this year they seem to have quality depth which is key going forward towards the goal of a SEC crown.
5. Lastly, it is truly a great time to be a fan of the USC Gamecocks. Watching the Spring Game and seeing the type of players in the program now. Wow is the only word that can describe the feeling. The 0-11 and 1-10 seasons are not so far away and here the program is…..wow. Gotta say it is truly "great to be a Gamecock" and enjoy the good times as we have seen the low points.