The South Carolina Gamecocks took care of business and send the then-number one team home packing. Theypopped the Tide in the mouth the first half and weatheredthe Saban come back show in the second half en route to a 35-21 historical victory over the nation’s top-ranked team in front of 82,993 fans at Williams-Brice Stadium and a national audience.
Behind the best performance from quarterback Stephen Garcia as a Gamecock QB due to his crisp passes but most importantly his decision-making, another monumental game from receiver Alshon Jeffery and a stout defensive effort, USC handed defending champion Alabama the loss.
One word to describe yesterday – WOW.
From the GameDay atmosphere, the team’s performance, the plays being made at the right time, the score and the postgame celebrations.
Here are a few takeaways –
- This is the highest-ranked opponent ever defeated by the Gamecocks ( previously #3 UNC in 1981).
- Gives USC a 12-1 record in their last 13 home games.
- Gives Spurrier his 39th win at Carolina, tying him with Joe Morrison and Billy Laval for the fourth most in school history.
- Gives Spurrier his 107th victory as an SEC coach, he is in 2nd place all-time now behind “Bear” Bryant.
- Snapped ‘Bama’s 19-game winning streak. The Tide’s first regular-season loss since Nov. 24, 2007.
So what was your favorite moment from the game?
I say the one-handed catch Alshon made down the sideline as it helped seal the win.